Need Assistance? Speak with one of our friendly team on +44(0)2038156488 or click here to chat to us online
Rolex Submariner 5508 "James Bond" Tropical, 1962 Men's Vintage Watch
An extremely rare Rolex Submariner reference 5508 aka "James Bond" with a stunning gilt tropical dial and "exclamation point" lume dot at 6 o'clock. The Rolex Submariner 5508 is an important reference in the history of the Rolex Submariner line, marking the move towards standardisation of the model.
Produced between the late 1950's and early 1960's, the Rolex reference 5508 introduced the 55XX reference format that persisted until the 1990's. It was also the first to use dials with only dial markers (compared to some earlier Submariner's that featured Explorer-style dials with 3, 6, and 9 indicators). Furthermore it was also the first to add 15 minute markers to the bezel.
Our favourite feature (or lack thereof) is the clean lines of the case owing to the lack of crown guards that would become standard additions for later references.
- Case: Excellent condition for its age. Unpolished (at least in recent years which is incredibly rare for these pieces). Engraved with the previous owner's name;
- Dial & Hands: Stunning original gilt dial with "exclamation point" at the 6 o'clock marker. Hands in good condition with intact lume;
- Bezel & Insert: Fitted with a NOS "kissing 40" bezel. Original bezel (minus insert) is included also as is a spare 3rd party red triangle insert;
- Movement: Rolex calibre 1530 automatic movement recently cleaned and serviced in excellent condition
- Strap: Currently fitted to a gorgeous leather strap. We can change this for another of your preference if required.
An excellent opportunity to own a piece of Rolex history with a beautifully aged example of the Rolex Submariner 5508 "James Bond"!
We know buying a watch that is decades old can be daunting. That's why in addition to servicing all our watches and offering a 14 day return policy, we also offer a 1 year warranty.
So in the unlikely event your watch misbehaves, just send it back to us and we'll repair and return it to you free of charge.
You can find more details about our Triple Guarantee here.
|Case Size (excluding crown):||37mm|
|Additional Info:||Fully Serviced. Spare original bezel|
- Delivery within the UK is Free.
- Delivery within Europe is £30 for watches valued under £10,000. For watches in excess of £10,000 please contact customer service to request a tailored quotation.
- Delivery for the Rest of the World (excluding the countries listed below) is £50 for watches valued under £10,000. Unfortunately we do not ship watches in excess of £10,000 outside of Europe.
Why Buy From Us?
We know buying a vintage watch can be daunting. From the fear of buying a fake, franken or stolen watch to one that is either overpriced or mechanically unreliable; buying a vintage watch is not easy!
But when you buy from us it's like buying from a friend. We offer friendly & transparent advice and never pressure sell. Not only that but every watch is:
Serviced & Authenticated
Comes with 1 year Warranty
14 Day Return Period
Shipped Same Day*
Very good experience with Time Rediscovered. Excellent service and very quick. Nick answered my questions promptly and swapped a strap for me for no extra charge. The watch is in excellent condition. Very happy to recommend Time Rediscovered.
Expert advice, no pressure and no-hard-sell that I have experienced from others. I would certainly buy from again. Product beautifully packaged and promptly dispatched. First class service. Well done
Great watches and a great experience dealing with Nick.
Fantastic service, speedy responses, helpful and super fast deloneny I had been looking for a vintage watch for a while and had trouble trusting online sources but they helped ease any concerns. Cannot recommend more! Thanks Time Rediscovered.